The best way to maximize your independence is to plan for it. As we age, we’ll all need some help.
- Consider, when the time comes, getting help to do laundry, cook, and keep you company. You may also need help getting around. One good choice is Good Shepherd (479-361-8983).
- Consider wider doors and hand grabs. If you end up need a walker, then you’ll be glad to live in a place with 36-inch doors. Install hand grabs to help you maintain your balance and not fall. Steve Real at Real Property Solutions can help get those installed (479-426-6206)
- Consider installing a camera system in at least the living area your children have access to. That way they can check in on you, even if they are many miles away. Some systems even allow you to have video chats with each other. Ozark Home Technologies (479-619-8574) has several systems that can help.
- Another consideration is an alert pendant. If you do slip and can’t get up, you need to be able to summon help immediately. Time laying on a cold tile floor can lead to hypothermia. Ozark Home Technologies (479-619-8574) can help with this too.
- Set up a buddy system with your neighbor. You check on them every day and they check on you every day. This doesn’t cost you anything and leads to a lot of peace of mind for you and your family.
- Pick trusted people to help you manage your money and legal affairs. You do this with a durable power of attorney. We can help you with this.
- Pick trusted people to help you manage your healthcare. This is done with a healthcare power of attorney. We can help you with a healthcare power of attorney.
- Have somebody you know with a great referral network. You can call/text us at (479)717-6300 to get referrals for many things other than legal matters. We are glad to help.