Estate Planning Academy Episode 9: Healthcare
Serving Clients in Bella Vista, Bentonville, Rogers, Springdale, Fayetteville and all of Northwest Arkansas
Working with elderly, disabled, and families to create & implement effective wealth protection strategies to give peace of mind without stress.
Medical Power of Attorney
A medical power of attorney is a power of attorney for healthcare. A medical power of attorney gives the authority to make medical decisions for another person, subject to the restrictions in the power of attorney, if any.
- A medical power of attorney gives the authority to make medical decisions for another person, subject to the restrictions in the power of attorney, if any
- If there are medical procedures you would never want, like a blood transfusion, now is the time to get those choices written down and legally binding.
- For example, you may not want certain treatments or drugs. You may be allergic to some medications.
- These types of things should be listed in the document.
- You might have a request for a private room if available.
- Most people appreciate a clause in the power of attorney to keep them in their home as long as possible, while providing for their needs.
Medical Information Waiver (HIPAA Waiver)
HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, is a federal law, that among other things, makes your health information private by law. It is referred to as protected health information. In order for friends and family to talk to doctors about your condition, you must sign a waiver
Advance Directive (Living Will)
- Not to be confused with a Last Will and Testament
- This document describes the medical care you want if
- You can’t make decisions yourself
- Nobody with a healthcare power of attorney is present
- You have an incurable or irreversible condition that will cause death in a short time
- You are in a permanently unconscious
- Lists the treatments you do not want if your have an irreversible condition or are permanently unconscious
- Not a do not resuscitate order
- That is a doctor’s order